We specialize in assisting the homeowner or do-it-yourselfer in completing repairs on broken window glass.

Of course exact measurements are of prime importance but first knowing which type of glass is to be replaced is most helpful and assists in quickly determining your total costs.

Residential window glass is generally referred to as either "single glazed" or "dual glazed". Almost every home built within the past 15 years will have "dual glazed" windows. Older homes will usually have single-glazed windows.

Single-glazed residential windows are usually glazed with single-strength window glass and double-strength glass in sizes that exceed 48". The actual thickness of single-strength is approximately 3/32" and double-strength is approximately 1/8". In some cases of extremely large picture windows a glass thickness of 3/16" or 1/4" may be used.

The dual-glazed or insulated glass unit is a sealed glass product consisting of two panes of glass separated by a layer of dry insulating air. Even if only one pane of glass is broken, the entire unit should be replaced because the seal for the dry insulating air has been broken.
Window Glass
Single glazed windows are usually the least expensive to repair: you only have one layer of glass to replace compared to the two or more layers used in insulated glass products.

Your window is probably a wood, sliding aluminum, or steel framed held in by either glazing compound (putty), or a vinyl u-shaped gasket surrounding the edge of the glass. Some large picture windows may use a wood or metal removable stop that holds the glass in position. Most smaller windows use a "single-strength" window glass but any pane with one dimension over 48" will  probably be "double-strength". If in doubt, bring in a sample of the broken glass to our shop and we'll advise the proper glass to be used for replacement.

Single strength costs around $2.50 per square foot and double-strength is around $3.00 per square foot. Aluminum windows that use the u-shaped vinyl gasket must use the same exact glass thickness. Glass going into the older wood, steel, or aluminum frames with putty can actually be any thickness but some common sense requirements usually apply.

Trying to get the exact size replacement glass is difficult for the novice. Usually the newer aluminum framed windows that use the u-shaped gasket will have glass of either full inch or half-inch sizes, but there are many exceptions. For example, your glass size could be 34" x 44". Glass in the older putty type windows or windows with removable stops of wood or metal can often be of any dimension and frequently the size will include fractions, for example, 24-3/8" X 36-3/16". If your broken window sash is removable, bring it into our shop and we'll attempt to determine your exact dimensions for you.